We are recruiting motivated young scholars and policy practitioners with diverse backgrounds and expertise, ranging from science and technology to political science and international law. Successful candidates will join existing Board Members in Summer 2021 to pursue the main objectives of the group and develop the range of activities and projects. This is a voluntary position and the expected time commitment is variable, depending on the willingness of candidates to engage in projects or working group meetings, but would normally run no more than 2-4 hours per month.
The main responsibility of Executive Board members is to guide the direction and activities of the ISYP network in line with our tradition and values. The Executive Board is committed to represent individuals with different areas of expertise as well as different geo-political regions of the world. Since 2001, the nature of the Executive Board has changed, according to the needs and possibilities of International Student/Young Pugwash. Today, members of the Executive Board have a direct bearing on the following areas:
- The organization of annual conferences and other international events
- The promotion and co-organization of regional events, such as workshops, consultations and meetings
- The relations of ISYP with the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
- The future of International Student/Young Pugwash
The Board works closely with the Nobel Prize-winning Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs to provide the next generation of students and young professionals concerned with the interface of science, technology, society and ethics unique opportunities to address potential sources of conflict, and to come up with new and innovative solutions to our greatest security challenges. These include:
- Nuclear disarmament, non-proliferation, and arms control
- The impact of emerging technologies (cyber, AI, robotics)
- CBRN security
- Conflict mediation and regional cooperation
- Climate change and environmental security
- Ethical issues in science and technology
Candidates must be under 35. Deadline for submissions is 4 April 2021.
Please complete the application form: https://forms.gle/xTdXJ3ADxneRX4XV6